Monday, October 6, 2014

Spiritual Playlist

I have no idea how in the world it suddenly became October, but somehow I already find myself dreading that which is looming right around the corner…midterms. I don’t know about you, but whenever I have lots of stress present in my life, whether it comes in the form of exams or other life events, I make a playlist.

This week, I’ve pulled together a spiritual playlist of some of my favorite contemporary worship music. My hope is that these songs will serve to uplift and inspire us both now during the craziness of preparing for midterms and later, when we’re in need of some spiritual nourishment. Join me in contemplating these seven songs in a prayerful way as a break from the business of everyday life this week. Click on the song titles below to listen, and enjoy!



TUESDAY: Beloved - Tenth Avenue North

God is a God of invitation, not manipulation. He pursues us with a relentless sort of gentle wooing: "You're my beloved; lover, I'm yours…You've been a mistress, my wife, chasing lovers that won't satisfy. Won't you let me make you my bride? You will drink of my lips, and you'll taste new life."


WEDNESDAY: Lord, I Need You – Matt Maher
(Click here for an acoustic version featuring Audrey Assad. A breathtaking example of worship through music.)

"Lord, I Need You" captures the beautiful strength that accompanies a weakness before and dependence upon God. May we call on God’s strength every day, especially during the middle of the week. “Where you are, Lord, I am free. Holiness is Christ in me…Every hour I need you…”


THURSDAY: Hold Us Together - Matt Maher

Because who could ever have enough Matt Maher in their lives? “And love will hold us together, make us a shelter to weather the storm…” As we near the end of the week, may we remember that we are our brothers’ and sisters’ keepers, and that our brothers and sisters are ours, as well. “The whole world will know that we’re not alone.” This relates to our examination of kinship.


FRIDAY: Restless - Audrey Assad

Happy Friday! Amidst the excitement of Friday, find some time in your day to slow down and rest in the Lord. Let’s contemplate God’s working in our lives as we reflect back on our weeks and look forward to the weekend.  “Oh, speak now, for my soul is listening. Say that You have saved me. Whisper in the dark…You are the keeper of my heart.”


SATURDAY: Oceans - Hillsong United 

This song is a fabulous addition to a walk or run – perhaps looping the lakes for those on campus! This is one of my all-time favorites. It reminds us how utterly mighty our God is. How blessed we are to have His unfailing grace to call upon: “Your grace abounds in deepest waters. Your sovereign hand will be my guide. Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me, You’ve never failed and You won’t start now.” May we have the courage to allow the Spirit to “lead [us] where [our] trust is without borders.”


SUNDAY: How He Loves – David Crowder Band

As the weekend comes to a close, let us humble ourselves in awe at the greatness of God’s love. God is not obligated into action; He acts because He loves.“And we are His portion, and He is our prize, drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes. If His grace is an ocean, we’re all sinking.”


MONDAY: Greater - MercyMe

And finally, this fantastic song is the perfect beginning to a week. "Bring your tired…shame…guilt….pain…don’t you know that’s not your name? You will always be much more to me…You are holy, righteous and redeemed." God is good, and we are loved beyond our wildest imagination.


Please add your own favorite songs to our Spiritual Playlist in the comment section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment