Tuesday, February 2, 2016

A Spot of Tea is a Holy Thing


The act of enjoying tea reveals God’s loving presence to me through a warm beverage that tastes like a hug. Many days, tea is one of the first things I think about. While coaxing myself out of my warm bed on school days, I often plan which flavor of tea I will drink on my way to my first class, a routine that puts a bounce in my step in the face of South Bend blizzards and London wind. On non-school mornings, I look forward to sipping tea while reading a book or writing a blog post.

Enjoying tea with family and friends takes the soul-warming experience of tea a step even further. There are few activities in the world I love more than sitting down for an excellent cup of tea and even better conversation. Last year, my roommate and I hosted a group of friends for tea and fellowship every Tuesday night, and washing mugs after these Tuesday Teas became a prayerful act for me each week due to the joy and gratitude shared over warm drinks.

This semester, I find myself in the land of tea. Naturally, I have been consuming absurd amounts of tea while here, and enjoying every second of it. This weekend, however, was the first time I had participated in a traditional English-style tea complete with pastries since being here. Celebrating a three-hour dinner feast of tea, scones, clotted cream, jam, and cake with five wonderful friends in Cambridge this weekend was a prayerful experience for me. Sharing stories, love, and laughter over delicate cups of tea enlivened every part of my being during the course of this fabulous meal. There is something spiritual about the way tea brings people together; even across history, we can trace the ways in which tea has connected humans. Legend has it that tea was invented in 2737 BC in China, and here we are in 2016 AD still able to revel in the beauty of an excellent cup of Earl Grey. 


I have been developing a theory around the phrase "treat yourself," which has entered into the vocabulary of our generation as, many times, a sarcastic justification of indulgence. "Treat yourself" has become a mantra that helps me to practice excellent self-care. My morning tea habit, taking a stroll with a friend while accompanied by a warm cup of tea, and having tea and scones for dinner are all small but largely significant ways to treat myself with regards to tea. I’ve found that treating oneself frequently in small ways – whether to dessert, some time alone to journal, or a crazy spontaneous adventure with friends – is key in order to maintain the best possible relationship with oneself. As a result, treating oneself within reason helps to develop rightly ordered relationships with others and with God.

When I am particularly kind to myself, I am happier, more patient, and more loving. I notice myself acting with a greater amount of zeal for the activities I’m engaging in and the people I’m with when I am in the habit of treating myself in small ways. I reach out to God more frequently, too, when I feel excited about my activities, the people I am spending time with, and the way I have been treating myself. For me, one of the best ways to treat myself is to a good spot of tea. How do you treat yourself? 

“When tea becomes ritual, it takes its place at the heart of our ability to see greatness in small things.” – Muriel Barbery, The Elegance of the Hedgehog


No comments:

Post a Comment